Projects of interest and instruments for the MRSEC REU:
E-beam and photo-lithography
Topics of interest (projects)
2D material interfaces and heterostructures
Correlated materials and superconductivity
Fabrication and characterization of nanoelectronic and nanophotonic devices
Molecular cluster synthesis
Optical characterization & devices
1. What are the dates of the 2017 Summer Program?
The program will run in 2017 for 10 weeks. The full-time program begins on May 28 and runs through August 5, 2017. ("Move in" is May 26 and "Move Out" is August 6).
2. How much is the stipend?
The stipend for 2017 is expected to be $4,000 given incrementally throughout the 9 weeks. It may be used for food and recreation. You will not be paying for housing.
3. What about housing?
Housing will be coordinated and provided for REU participants on-campus in the East Campus dormitory located on the Columbia Morningside (116th Street) campus.
4. What about food?
REU participants are responsible for their own meals. There are university summer meal plan options as well as local grocery stores and restaurants (East Campus has student accessible kitchen facilities for cooking).
5. What about travel expenses?
Round-trip travel expenses to and from the summer program will be reimbursed up to $500 (“regular” tickets only, no first-class, etc.) per participant. Original receipts must be provided.
6. Do I need health insurance?
Yes – Columbia will cover minimal care for health issues during the 9-week program.
7. What will I be doing during the 9 weeks?
You will be working on your research project with your faculty mentor, attending our weekly seminar series, and interacting with other summer science research students in other programs formally and informally, such as on field trips and special events/symposium/seminars.
8. When is the application deadline?
All complete online applications must be submitted by February 15, 2017.
9. What are the application requirements?
Prospective REU participants must complete the online application; upload all college transcripts as well as two letters of recommendation. No prior research experience is required. Students must be entering their sophomore, junior, or senior years of college – no graduating seniors, please!
10. When do I find out if I am accepted?
Applicants will be notified in March 2017.
11. When do I find out what projects I will be working on?
REU students, faculty, and projects are closely matched after participants have been accepted. The participant will be notified of this match as soon as possible. Each student’s major, research preference, and experience are taken into careful consideration regarding project match.
12. Are international students allowed to apply?
Yes, international students can participate.
13. Why choose Columbia’s Materials Research REU program?
- Top-notch faculty mentors
- Excellent materials science research facilities
- Interaction with other summer program students at Columbia University
- Wonderful location in one of the greatest cities in the world, New York City
For additional information, please contact:
Columbia University MRSEC REU
Schapiro/CEPSR, Room 1001
530 West 120th St., MC 8903
New York, NY 10027